ABOUT RIVERVIEW CHURCH
MISSION AND HISTORY
Riverview United Methodist Church began as an afternoon Bible school that was brought to the community of Patterson Twp and Patterson Heights through the ministry of Immanuel Evangelical Church in Beaver Falls. The first meeting was March 30, 1919. By the Fall of that year, members began planning for a permanent church building. Riverview Evangelical Church was dedicated on Sunday, July 10, 1921.
In May of 1954, a new sanctuary was dedicated. This is our current worship facility with a Sunday School wing added in 1965.
In 1968, two denominations merged. The Evangelical Brethren church, a movement with roots from German Immigrants, joined with the Methodist Church to form one denomination. While the Evangelical Brethren had German roots and the Methodists traced their lineage to the English Wesleyan revival, both denomination had many similar beliefs and points of shared history that a union of the two movements seemed agreeable. This union changed the name of Riverview Evangelical Church to Riverview United Methodist.
Riverview's building sits right at the heart of the community of Patterson. It is a key location in the community. But more than that, it is a symbolic location for where the church wants to be. We desire that the light of Jesus and the good news of the Gospel would come to the hearts of the people Patterson. We believe that as we live into our calling as followers of Jesus, that is the mission of this church. TO KNOW JESUS AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN.
ABOUT OUR PASTOR
Rev. Luke Whipple
Rev. Luke Whipple came to Riverview UMC in 2020.
He is a graduate of Grove City College (2009) and United Theological Seminary (2017)
Before saying "yes" to God's call for vocational ministry, Pastor Luke was a high school English teacher in the the Pittsburgh Area.
Pastor Luke is married to Rachel Whipple (2013) and
they have a young family of four children.
Riverview UMC uses the church board model to hold one another accountability to ministry that honors Christ. Members of the board serve for three year terms that provide oversight for finances, Trustees (building and properties), Staff-Parish Relations (Human Services), and ministry and worship. Those who serve on the board are dedicated members of the worshiping congregation.
WITH EVERY MEETING WE BEGIN AND END IN PRAYER
KNOWING THAT GOD IS THE LEADER FOR ALL OUR DECISIONS